From good to great negotiations
Today’s executives face with a wide range of challenges: from multicultural negotiations, ethical dilemmas to negotiating in a deal-making situation. As a senior leader your personal and professional effectiveness rests on your success in these situations. Turn from a good negotiator into a great one.
- Achieve a better awareness of your personal negotiation style.
- Foster more effective relationships through the ability to analyse counterparts in different cultures and regions.
- Gain the ability to align negotiation strategy with strategic business objectives.
- Develop a framework to succeed in complex negotiation situations.
The “Winning Negotiation Strategies” program content delivers the competencies and insights needed to win:
Negotiation and Technology
- Understanding how to negotiate in a physical and virtual context – online, on video and face to face
- The blended format allows participants to experience of the impact of choice of communication channel and its impact on negotiation performance
Negotiating in a Multicultural World
- Addressing cultural differences and preparing to negotiate with counterparts from across the world
- Participants will analyze their own negotiation style and its potential impact across different cultures – enabling effective negotiation with cultures that participants may not have been exposed to
Negotiation and Emotions
- What emotions do we provoke when we negotiate? Understanding the power of emotion in a negotiation
- Participants will explore how counterparts react to them on an emotional level, how to capture those emotions, and how to control their own emotions to achieve a successful conclusion
Negotiating a Deal
- Exploring the process of complex negotiation – for example, for an investment deal, a leveraged buyout, merger or acquisition
- With ineffective negotiation tactics resulting in poor deals, the program highlights successful strategies to deal-making
Corporate Conflicts and Mediation
- Understanding to develop a ‘mediator mindset’ to tackle the many issues of conflict
- The program explores different mediation strategies and how each can be effective in a range of conflict situations
Negotiation in complex Situations
- A best practice approach to negotiation in complex situations – from dealing with a hostile counterpart to negotiating with those possessing unlimited power
- Participants will explore a range of complex scenarios and will develop a personal framework for preparation to ensure success in every case
Winning Negotiation Strategies helps leaders develop the personal frameworks, the “mediator mindset” and the preparatory techniques to ensure a win in any complex negotiation.
The program will be spread across three weeks. First two weeks will include on-line learning session and on-line exercise while week three will on-campus sessions.
In order to benefit fully from the course, reading the academic material that will be provided two weeks prior to the start date is essential
Senior Lecturer of Entrepreneurship and Negotiation Teaching Unit
PhD in Management, IESE Business School, University of Navarra
Visiting Scholar, DRRC, Kellogg School of Management
Master of Business Administration, K.S. School of Business Management, Gujarat University
Professor of Managing People in Organizations and Negotiation Teaching Unit
Doctor of Philosophy (Management), IESE, University of Navarra
MBA, IESE, University of Navarra
Prof. Stein is also Member of The International Academy of Management and the International Advisory Board MCC (Budapest) and is a collaborator with People and Strategy Journal, Corporate Ownership & Control, Harvard Deusto Business Review, European Business Review and Expansión.
Author of books in English, German and Spanish, more than 50 business cases, and numerous technical notes. His current research focuses on undesirable turnover in top management, power and taking-charge processes, and negotiation as a management tool.
Professor of Managing People in Organizations
PhD in Management, HEC, University of Lausanne
Master in International Business, National Taiwan University
Bachelor in International Trade, National Taiwan University
One of Prof. Lee’s papers on culture and the person environment fit, titled “Satisfaction and Individual Preference for Structuring: What is Fit Depends on Where You Are From,” won the Best International Paper Award of the Organizational Behavior Division at the 2006 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, and was one of the three finalists of the academy-wide Carolyn Dexter Award.
- Participants must complete and submit the online application.
- The Executive Education Department will contact the participant by email to acknowledge receipt of the application. It will also provide information about the program dates, sending of prior study materials and the bank details needed to pay tuition.
- The participant pays tuition (payment must be made before the start of the course and before prior study materials are sent). This is an essential prerequisite for participating in the program.
- Two weeks before the start of the program, participants will receive an email with a username giving them access to IESE’s Virtual Campus, where initial study materials will be available.
- General fee: € 5,065
- IESE members fee: € 4,559
- Executive education Certificate fee: additional 5% discount on the general or membership fee.
The program fee is tax-exempt and includes academic materials and lunches. It does not include travel or accommodation expenses.
The program requires preparatory coursework, which will be made available three weeks before the start date. Payment is required in order to access this material. Check the cancellation policy below.
Do you know about our corporate agreements and fees for multiple registrations? Feel free to ask us.
We have negotiated special fees for our participants in these hotels near to Barcelona campus: AC Victoria Suites (Marriot) 4*, Sansi Pedralbes 4*, Abba Garden 4*, Meliá Sarriá Barcelona 5*, Upper Diagonal 4*.
We accept payments by credit card, check or wire. For more payment information, please reference your invoice.
Cancellations received within 20 days prior to the start of the program are subject to a cancellation fee equivalent to 25% of the program fee. IESE reserves the right to cancel this edition of the program or to change the dates up to 20 days prior to its start. IESE is under no circumstances responsible for travel expenses incurred. Participants should consider travel cancellation coverage in the exceptional event that the program is cancelled or that participants are unable to attend for personal or professional reasons.