Commit to Governance Excellence
Discover how to boost your contribution as a board member and promote overall boardroom effectiveness to truly drive business value, competitive advantage and board engagement. Clearly communicate your commitment to governance excellence to your investors, management team and society as a whole.
- Expand your knowledge of global governance challenges and their impact on your business and socioeconomic environment.
- Deepen your understanding of corporate governance fundamentals such as strategy, risk management, security, integrity and oversight.
- Explore the keys to successful boardroom governance processes and board dynamics.
- Heighten your leadership and decision-making skills.
Each of these critical topics will be examined through focused lectures and in-depth case studies. You and a group of distinguished peers will examine how effective boards build positive relationships and efficient processes.
You will examine the most relevant strategic and organizational issues facing boards of directors today. Examples taken from companies in diverse industries will drive home the need for transparency, trust, and close cooperation between board members and the management team.
The program will tackle the following issues:
- Role of the Board
How well does your board understand its responsibilities?You will discuss how to design the most appropriate board structure, processes and complement of directors, as well as how to recruit, motivate and compensate the CEO. You will also learn how to maximize cooperation between board members and the management team.
- Business Strategy
Is your company’s strategy sound and profitable? If the business strategy is not working, the board is responsible for fixing it. You will explore ways for the board to work actively and constructively with management to solve problems while avoiding value destruction.
- Crisis Management
You will explore strategies for addressing emergencies that could destroy your company, including the departure of the CEO, hostile or friendly takeovers, environmental disasters, and shareholder fraud or other gross malfeasance.
- The Dynamics of Influence
You will acquire proven frameworks to elevate the effectiveness of your board meetings by refining the discussion and decision-making processes, and establishing guidelines to ensure that they are conducted more efficiently.
Board members in large public firms and established companies that plan to go public will find the program particularly beneficial.
Emeritus Professor of Entrepreneurship
Doctor of Business Administration, Harvard University
Degree in Industrial Engineering, E.T.S.I.I. Barcelona
Professor and President, CEIBS (Shanghai, Beijing)
Professor of Strategic Management
Fundación IESE Chair in Corporate Governance
PhD in Economic and Business Sciences, Universitat de Barcelona
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University
Krishna G. Palepu
Ross Graham Walker Professor of BusinessAdministration, Harvard Business School
Doctor in Management, MIT
Honorary Doctorate, Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration
Philip J. Stomberg Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
PhD in Business Administration, Harvard Business School
MBA, Indian Institute of Management
The on-site edition takes place on the school’s Barcelona campus.
To ensure participants get the most out of the program, they will be asked to prepare the academic materials provided two weeks before the program’s start date..
- Participants complete and submit the online application.
- The Executive Education Department emails the participant to acknowledge receipt and provide further details on program dates, pre-program academic materials and bank details to submit payment.
- The participant pays the program fee. This is an essential requisite to access the pre-readings and participate in the program.
- Two weeks before the start date, participants receive an email with a user name to access the IESE Virtual Campus and pre-readings.
- General fee: € 6,500
- Members fee: Special fees are available to members of the IESE and Harvard Business School Alumni Associations. Please contact us for more information.
- Executive education Certificate fee: An additional 5% discount on the general or IESE Alumni Association member fee.
The program fee is tax-exempt. Payment is required before the program begins and includes all academic materials and most meals. Please note that travel and accommodation expenses are not included.
Discounts are available for corporate agreements and multiple registrations from the same company. Space is limited and filled in strict order of reception so early registration is encouraged.
Participants in the on-campus Barcelona edition can benefit from special rates at the following hotels: AC Victoria Suites (Marriot) 4*, Sansi Pedralbes 4*, Abba Garden 4*, Meliá Sarriá Barcelona 5*, Upper Diagonal 4*.
We accept payments by credit card, check or wire.
Cancellations received within 20 days before the program launch are subject to a fee equivalent to 25% of tuition. IESE reserves the right to cancel this edition or modify dates up to 20 days prior to its start. IESE is under no circumstances responsible for travel expenses incurred. Participants should consider travel cancellation coverage in the exceptional event that the program is cancelled or if they are unable to attend for personal or professional reasons.