Commit to Governance Excellence
Discover how to boost your contribution as a board member and promote overall boardroom effectiveness to truly drive business value, competitive advantage and board engagement. Clearly communicate your commitment to governance excellence to your investors, management team and society as a whole.
- Expand your knowledge of global governance challenges and their impact on your business and socioeconomic environment.
- Deepen your understanding of corporate governance fundamentals such as strategy, risk management, security, integrity and oversight.
- Explore the keys to successful boardroom governance processes and board dynamics.
- Heighten your leadership and decision-making skills.
The “Value Creation Through Effective Boards” program will focus on improving boardroom effectiveness through discussion of the role of the board, the importance of business strategy, the impact of the regulatory environment, crisis management, and how you can enhance your performance and the value of your contributions as a board member.
Each of these critical topics will be examined through focused lectures and in-depth case studies. You and a group of distinguished peers will examine how effective boards build positive relationships and efficient processes.
You will examine the most relevant strategic and organizational issues facing boards of directors today. Examples taken from companies in diverse industries will drive home the need for transparency, trust, and close cooperation between board members and the management team.
The program will tackle the following issues:
- Role of the Board
How well does your board understand its responsibilities?You will discuss how to design the most appropriate board structure, processes and complement of directors, as well as how to recruit, motivate and compensate the CEO. You will also learn how to maximize cooperation between board members and the management team.
- Business Strategy
Is your company’s strategy sound and profitable? If the business strategy is not working, the board is responsible for fixing it. You will explore ways for the board to work actively and constructively with management to solve problems while avoiding value destruction.
- Crisis Management
You will explore strategies for addressing emergencies that could destroy your company, including the departure of the CEO, hostile or friendly takeovers, environmental disasters, and shareholder fraud or other gross malfeasance.
- The Dynamics of Influence
You will acquire proven frameworks to elevate the effectiveness of your board meetings by refining the discussion and decision-making processes, and establishing guidelines to ensure that they are conducted more efficiently.
Board members in large public firms and established companies that plan to go public will find the program particularly beneficial.
You will be exposed to insights on the core responsibilities, working relationships, and best practices of corporate boards and management teams.
This program will provide specific tools and frame works that organizations can implement immediately to strengthen the impact of their board and ensure increased corporate oversight. Specific discussions around management succession, compensation, evaluation, corporate responsibility and business strategy will facilitate the increased engagement and alignment of boards and organizations that is needed to enhance performance.
In order to benefit fully from the course, reading the academic material that will be provided two weeks prior to the start date is essential.
Emeritus Professor of Entrepreneurship
Doctor of Business Administration, Harvard University
Degree in Industrial Engineering, E.T.S.I.I. Barcelona
Professor and President, CEIBS (Shanghai, Beijing)
Professor of Strategic Management
Fundación IESE Chair in Corporate Governance
PhD in Economic and Business Sciences, Universitat de Barcelona
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University
Krishna G. Palepu
Ross Graham Walker Professor of BusinessAdministration, Harvard Business School
Doctor in Management, MIT
Honorary Doctorate, Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration
Philip J. Stomberg Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
PhD in Business Administration, Harvard Business School
MBA, Indian Institute of Management
- Participants must complete and submit the online application.
- The Executive Education Department will contact the participant by email to acknowledge receipt of the application. It will also provide information about the program dates, sending of prior study materials and the bank details needed to pay tuition.
- The participant pays tuition (payment must be made before the start of the course and before prior study materials are sent). This is an essential prerequisite for participating in the program.
- Two weeks before the start of the program, participants will receive an email with a username giving them access to IESE’s Virtual Campus, where initial study materials will be available.
- General fee: € 6,500
- Members fee: Special fees are available to members of the IESE and Harvard Business School Alumni Associations. Please contact us for more information.
- Executive education Certificate fee: additional 5% discount on the general or membership fee.
The program fee is tax-exempt and includes academic materials and lunches. It does not include travel or accommodation expenses.
The program requires preparatory coursework, which will be made available three weeks before the start date. Payment is required in order to access this material. Check the cancellation policy below.
Do you know about our corporate agreements and fees for multiple registrations? Feel free to ask us.
We have negotiated special fees for our participants in these hotels near to Barcelona campus: AC Victoria Suites (Marriot) 4*, Sansi Pedralbes 4*, Abba Garden 4*, Meliá Sarriá Barcelona 5*, Upper Diagonal 4*.
We accept payments by credit card, check or wire. For more payment information, please reference your invoice.
Cancellations received within 20 days prior to the start of the program are subject to a cancellation fee equivalent to 25% of the program fee. IESE reserves the right to cancel this edition of the program or to change the dates up to 20 days prior to its start. IESE is under no circumstances responsible for travel expenses incurred. Participants should consider travel cancellation coverage in the exceptional event that the program is cancelled or that participants are unable to attend for personal or professional reasons.